*** NATIONAL BREAKING NEWS ***
Tragedy struck Orlando, Florida in wee hours of June 12 when a gunman shot dead 49 people and injured many others.
- Suspected extremist fired inside an Orlando club called Pulse in the early hours of this morning.
- Took party-goers hostage before being shot dead by police.
- Killed 49 people, injured dozens more.
- Shooter identified as Omar Mateen aged 29 – a US citizen and Florida resident.
- President Obama called the attack an act of terror and hate.
UPDATE about the gunman
The gunman, Omar Mateen, 29, was killed in a shootout with the police. He lived in Fort Pierce, Fla and was an American citizen whose parents were from Afghanistan. He claimed allegiance to the Islamic State in a 911 call he made at the time of the attack, law enforcement officials said.
The Orlando Police Department said Mr. Mateen was born in New York. Court records indicate he was divorced. His ex-wife, Sitora Yusufiy spoke of her abusive marriage to Mr. Mateen.
The F.B.I. director, James Comey, said Monday that the gunman was on a terrorism watch list from 2013 to 2014, however the months of investigation into his foreign travels, rhetoric and his motives did not produce enough evidence to charge him.
Latest posts by Editor (see all)
- Collin County population projected to double by 2030 - February 24, 2017
- JCPenny closing upto 140 stores - February 24, 2017
- Increased parking options in Historic Downtown McKinney - February 24, 2017